Sunday, November 29, 2009

EDM 310 Class Summary

learning express
I suppose its all ready time for me to write a summary about what I have learned in this class. Where do I begin? I learned so much in this class that it's hard to remember everything. But, here it goes. What I learned the most are these tools which helped me become Technologically Literate:
I believe all teachers should have knowledge and understand of technological literacy. Everything you post or comment on is developing your "intellectual trail" in the world.
The most important thing that we learned that will help me as a teacher is learning how to create a PLN. A PLN is a useful tool to have even if your not going to be a teacher. It allows you to collaborate, ask questions, and share ideas with others. It gives you a chance to make new friends that you never would have.
Next would be the blogging that Dr. Strange assigned to us. The reading assignments opened my eyes to the new technology and teaching ideas out there. Blogging is a wonderful way to express what is on your mind. Comments4kids was the most rewarding experience in the class. I loved commenting to the kids from all over the world and I will probably keep it up when class is over. The Professional blog will help me to learn what kind of teacher I want to become.
Google tools was another interesting thing we learned in the class. I use igoogle everyday to see my gmail, google docs, and some websites I am following. I found that in google docs we can create forms, presentations, and documents and it will be stored in the clouds as Dr. Strange puts it. There is no use for a flash-drive in this age. All of these apps are useful when you become a teacher and they are easy to use. I was able to create a presentation and a form with no problem. To see the spreadsheet of responses from my form click here.
Delicious is a useful tool for bookmarking and having them whenever you need them on any computer. I find this very helpful since I can never remember the websites that I follow or interested in.

Here is a list of other things I learned during this class:
Foliotek
ACCESS
ALEX
Wikis
iTunes
iTunesU
Podcast/Videocast

Google Earth

You might find this hard to believe but I learned everything that I wanted to learn in this class. This was the best class I have ever had. In my other computer classes all we learned was Microsoft Office.

For me twitter isn't anything that I have to have or needed to learn. I honestly see no point in it sometimes. I don't see why so many people love it but that's just me.

What excited me in this class was being able to comment on kids posts. It was the most rewarding experience, especially when we learned about Kaia.

I found a few things difficult to master, but not "intellectually challenging." Creating a video for project 11 wasn't hard. When it came around to posting it it was another story. After awhile of trying to publish it to Youtube I had success. So now I know how to put videos on Youtube.

Honestly I did not find myself being bored in this class, which was the only class that I wasn't.

For this class I would not change anything. I liked it just the way it was. Dr. Strange did a great job teaching us the tools. He made wonderful videos and posted documents showing or telling how to do something, which were easy to understand.

Can anyone be truly Technologically Literate? If I had to choose at this moment I would say that I am to the extent of medium at the most.

I will maintain and improve my technological literacy between now and the time I graduate or start teaching by practice practice practice. I will stay up to date with the technological advances . I will keep researching and mastering new tools that will help me when I become a teacher.

One thing that Dr. Strange said in class will stay follow me, "A Mac is better than a PC."

2 comments:

  1. There was surely alot we learned in this class, and I am sure we all are going to use to the max for the rest of our college career, as well in our teaching careers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth! a mac is not better than a pc! Its just different .....lol

    ReplyDelete